Simply put, I study the antecedents and consequences/implications of DIFFERENCE:
(1) Between-group (perceived) differences (e.g., stereotyping and meta-stereotyping in complex intergroup systems; stigma based on social categories)
(2) Within-group (perceived) differences (e.g., social pressures to construe the self as independent of social influence; stigma based on personal characteristics/conditions)
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Gender Psychology
- Intergroup Relations
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Self and Identity
- Rees, T.J., Salvatore, J., & Coffee, P., Haslam, S.A., Sargent, A., & Dobson, T. (in press). Reversing downward performance spirals. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.
- Salvatore, J. (in press). Back to basics in the assessment of stigma: Commentary on Conley et al. (2012). Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy.
- Salvatore, J., & Marecek, J. (2010). Gender in the gym: Evaluation concerns as barriers to weight lifting among women. Sex Roles, 63, 556-567.
- Salvatore, J., & Shelton, J. N. (2007). Cognitive costs of exposure to racial prejudice. Psychological Science, 18, 810-815.
- Shelton, J. N., Richeson, J. A., & Salvatore, J. (2005). Expecting to be the target of prejudice: Implications for interethnic interactions. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 31, 1189-1202.
- Shelton, J. N., Richeson, J. A., Salvatore, J., & Trawalter, S. (2005). Ironic effects of racial bias during interracial interactions. Psychological Science, 16, 397-402.
- Haslam, S. A., Salvatore, J., Kessler, T., & Reicher, S. D. (2008). The social psychology of success. Scientific American Mind, 19, 24-31.
- Salvatore, J., & Prentice, D. A. (2011). The independence paradox. In J. Jetten & M. J. Hornsey (Eds.), Rebels in Groups: Dissent, Deviance, Difference and Defiance. Blackwell-Wiley.
- Shelton, J. N., Richeson, J. A., Salvatore, J., & Hill, D. M. (2006). Silence is not golden: The intrapersonal consequences of not confronting prejudice. In S. Levin and C. Van Laar (Eds.), Stigma and Group Inequality. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Advanced Graduate Statistics
- Introduction to Psychology
- Self and Identity
Department of Psychology
Sweet Briar College
Sweet Briar, Virginia 24595
- Phone: (434) 381-6129