I study the antecedents and consequences/implications of human difference:
(1) Between-group (perceived) differences (e.g., stereotyping and meta-stereotyping in complex intergroup systems; stigma based on social categories)
(2) Within-group (perceived) differences (e.g., social pressures to construe the self as independent of social influence; stigma based on personal characteristics/conditions)
- Applied Social Psychology
- Gender Psychology
- Intergroup Relations
- Law and Public Policy
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Political Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
- Marecek, J., & Salvatore, J. (2016). Out of place? Gender relations in a college fitness center. QMIP Bulletin, 22, 36-42.
- Pendry, L. F., & Salvatore, J. (2015). Individual and social benefits of online discussion forums. Computers in Human Behavior, 50, 211-220.
- Rees, T., Salvatore, J., & Coffee, P., Haslam, S.A., Sargent, A., & Dobson, T. (2013). Reversing downward performance spirals. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 49, 400-403.
- Salvatore, J. (2013). Back to basics in the assessment of stigma: Commentary on Conley et al. (2012). Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy, 13, 45-48.
- Salvatore, J., & Marecek, J. (2010). Gender in the gym: Evaluation concerns as barriers to weight lifting among women. Sex Roles, 63, 556-567.
- Salvatore, J., & Shelton, J. N. (2007). Cognitive costs of exposure to racial prejudice. Psychological Science, 18, 810-815.
- Shelton, J. N., Richeson, J. A., & Salvatore, J. (2005). Expecting to be the target of prejudice: Implications for interethnic interactions. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 31, 1189-1202.
- Shelton, J. N., Richeson, J. A., Salvatore, J., & Trawalter, S. (2005). Ironic effects of racial bias during interracial interactions. Psychological Science, 16(5), 397-402.
- Cecil, V., Pendry, L. F., Salvatore, J., & Kurz, T. R. (2018). Women's gray hair as an abomination of the body: Conceal and pass, or reveal and subvert. In S. Barak-Brandes, & A. Kama (Eds.), Feminist Interrogations of Women's Head Hair: Crown of Glory and Shame (pp. 124-140). Routledge.
- Haslam, S. A., Salvatore, J., Kessler, T., & Reicher, S. D. (2008). The social psychology of success. Scientific American Mind, 19, 24-31.
- Salvatore, J., & Prentice, D. A. (2011). The independence paradox. In J. Jetten & M. J. Hornsey (Eds.), Rebels in Groups: Dissent, Deviance, Difference and Defiance. Blackwell-Wiley.
- Salvatore, J., Sankaran, S., & Cole, D. (2020). Cognition and performance. In S. A. Haslam, F. Boen, and K. Fransen (Eds.), The New Psychology of Sport and Exercise: The Social Identity Approach (pp. 111-128). Sage.
- Shelton, J. N., Richeson, J. A., Salvatore, J., & Hill, D. M. (2006). Silence is not golden: The intrapersonal consequences of not confronting prejudice. In S. Levin and C. Van Laar (Eds.), Stigma and Group Inequality. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Advanced Graduate Statistics
- Introduction to Psychology
- Self and Identity
Department of Psychology
Sweet Briar College
Sweet Briar, Virginia 24595